Prioritize your abs - 3 tips on how to get started!

Prioritizing our abs does not only mean that the main goal is to have a flat tummy and muscles to show off - even though that can be nice. Depending on our body type and where were at in life, our abdominal area can be quite challenging. However, being strong in this section have so many benefits: 

Hire a PT or get ideas from Instagram! 
1. As part of my work I stand up and give lectures and workshops. If I don't have a strong abdominal section my back hurts from standing up all day - so this (no back pain)  is a great motivation to me.

2. I also get a better posture and..

3. more relaxed breathing.

Therefore, when I only have time to do one area for strength exercise, I choose to prioritize my abs.


American sit-ups are so efficient!! 

Since I am 40 years old and I had my two children 13 months apart, this is a tuff area for me. However I am blessed to build muscles pretty quickly and I do notice that my muscles get stronger within 2-3 weeks of regular exercise. Sit-ups and ab exercises can be done anywhere and do not need to take much time. I prefer to get mine done directly in the morning preferably after some cardio.

If you haven't done ab work in some time.. here are 3 tips that have helped me :) 

1. Start low and increase the number of repetitions each week. For example it can be enough to do 3 x10 repetitions or 2 x 25 repetitions to start. The week after you increase by 5 more repetitions and keep challenging yourself.

2. Choose the type of exercises that are most fun. If you can't find any ab exercise that is fun - pick the two that you dislike the least ;) Often it's not fun because it's tuff. Put on great music at a loud volume and focus on your breathing.

3. Focus on feeling the result throughout the rest of the day. How great it feels when your abdominal area feels strong - that will motivate you to keep going the next day and make the exercise a priority.

I love to work out both my lower and upper abs as well as the side/waist. My instagram @susannanordlund shows short videos of all three exercises in this blog post. 

Great looking abs is a fantastic look but does take a lot of work and for most of us a very specific diet. All of that may not be a priority. However you, your body and your overall health will benefit greatly by getting started with your abdominal exercises. And when you don't feel like doing it - do it anyways! 

Stay strong and take care of your body! Enjoy your journey... xoxo Susanna






Comments