5 ideas to get started or back into exercise

This year of 2019 has been a bit challenging to me when it comes to working out. I injured my knee in February and then got hit with a pretty serious eye infection. After that I got gallbladder pain due to gallstones (extremely painful), along with some regular colds.. I've still been able to do some exercise, but not to as much as I like. Less exercise affects my sleep negatively, I get back pain and my mood is not as great, I make poor food choices etc. Right now I am relieved and thankful to get back at it again. However after some time of no or less exercise, it can be tricky and challenging to get started.. So I've listed down below 5 ideas that has worked and work for me :)

Running on the treadmill works great for my knees  and I feel that I can use the time not just to exercise but to rest my mind as well as make plans and set goals. 

Here are 5 ideas that has made and makes it easier for me to get my exercise done: 


1. Map out what time of the day your exercise can be done without conflicting too much with your other commitments and activities. It may not be the time that you normally have been working out our that in your mind is ideal to you - but finding the right time is really a big key and it will make it easier to get started and keep going at it. For me the morning hours while the kids are sleeping has turned out to be an amazing time to exercise. It takes away all the stress of trying to squeeze in the workout during the rest of the day.

2. Schedule your workout to make it a priority. Exercise takes time and you need to be honest with yourself how much of a priority you need and want to give it. There is no a right or wrong choice here. What is important is to make a conscious decision. 

Always take a moment to stretch. It does not just benefit the body but certainly benefits the mind. 

3. Write down all the positive benefits exercise gives you (except that we do look a lot better in terms of posture, less body fat etc). My highest motivator is increased sleep quality, my back does not hurt, I can keep up easier with my super athletic kids, I eat better, I get a more balanced and positive mood, my self-confidence and self-esteem get better. (Our self-esteem gets more solid when we do self-caring and self-loving actions as taking care of our bodies. The self-confidence gets better when we physically and mentally are strong). I used to think that it was to loose weight and look good that would motivate me the most... but that kind of falls in to place on its own if we take good care of ourselves.

4. Make the exercise time your "me time", a time when you not only focus on your workout and how good it is for your body. But use the time to make good plans for yourself, envision new goals and dream big. Use the time to clarify possibilities and to structure your life priorities. Make the exercise time, a time of overall wellness rather than just the physical exercise.
Love to do morning powerwalks because of the energy in the air and the beautiful scenery (at least this time of the year). 

5. Exercise to feel good and get stronger, both physically and mentally. Treat your body as the temple of your Soul. Exercise to get more connected with your body. Don't focus on the exercise to loose weight. To loose weight we often need to face emotional challenges as well as change our diet. That is a different topic. However we tend to automatically eat at least a bit better when we workout.


Xoxo Susanna 

Comments