How to crate a meaningful life (rather than just try to be happy)

Summer is a great time, as everything is running at a slower pace, to really take a moment and reflect on our lives. Most of us seem to aim for constant happiness.. and often short term happiness. And we may experience disappointment, frustration or failure when our idea of happiness is not really fulfilled. Social media these days give us some kind of fantasy what happiness might be about. We are overexposed to everybody's house renovations, cute outfits, travel destinations, romance, babies, pets and more.. And everybody looks so "happy".

Don't take me wrong.. I too do love beauty products, a well styled home, romance, cute outfits, the kids and fancy restaurants.. I definitely enjoy those parts of life. But I've really come to discover the benefit of creating meaningful moments throughout the day and week, that make we wanna be present ("here and now"). Rather than chasing or expecting to be or find happiness.. Create a meaningful life! 


To create a meaningful life lays very much in our own control. Our lives consists of weeks, days, hours and minutes. If we choose to take the opportunity to make each hour of our day meaningful - no matter what the circumstances are. We will get a rich life! A life that certainly will exceed the rouse of happiness. I've discovered that some of my weekly activities (as taking my kids to practice) really not just give me a sense of joy, but a deeper feeling of meaningfulness. Same with organizing at home (that definitely could come off as a boring chore), which gives me a sense of peace and clears my mind for new ideas. And that is meaningful to me. In my professional life I have definitely come across boring or non-glorious tasks and assignments. However when I was able to create a positive change for someone, plant a seed of hope, or plainly share my own experience on a topic, it became meaningful to me.
To be present and have quality time is very meaningful to me. 

My point in all of that above is that what is meaningful to us in a day to day life does not need to be extravagant or grandiose. It does not need to be so noticeable to others. What matters is that we know that our Soul is fulfilled and that we truly value our life!

3 Steps towards a more meaningful life: 

Sit down and make inventory of your life.. how can you make it more meaningful? Close your eyes and connect with your passion of your Soul. Usually we need to both give up certain activities, people, habits etc, as well as adding new activities, people, habits etc. With most aspects of our lives we probably need to also adjust our time and energy spent, and choose to give more or less of us. Be aware of your ego! It is your Soul who knows if something is meaning ful to you ;)

1. Be honest! What is meaningful to you? Be brave and truly look at all aspects of your life and how they affect you.

2. Be present! Dare to be present in your relationships, activities and work. Then you can really evaluate if the person / situation gives your Soul a sense of fulfillment. It is often after our engagement that we can fully feel and know how we are affected.

3. Be selective! Your time and energy won't last forever - use it with caution and choose work, activities and people that feel meaningful to you.


*Please comment with questions that you may have or further help that you may need on your journey to make your life more meaningful - and I will adress that in another blog post. Wishing you all great joy in this endeavor.

Xoxo Susanna 





Comments